International trade is essential to the global economy and promotes economic growth and development. However, cross-border transactions are also complex and subject to various legal and regulatory frameworks that impact businesses involved in the global trade of goods, technology, and services. Given these challenges, working with an experienced international trade attorney is essential.
At Transnational Matters, we advise clients on a wide range of trade-related matters, such as:
- Treaties & Acts
- World Intellectual Property Organization filings
- Worldwide Licensing Agreements
- Imports & Exports
- Antidumping and countervailing duties under Sections 201 and 301 of the Trade Act
- Customs, including valuation, classification and origin, and free trade zones
- Economic and trade sanctions
- Export controls and sanctions
- Free trade agreements, such as United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA)
- International Trade Commission (ITC) Section 337 litigation
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) representation
- Transnational business and foreign direct investment controls
- Trade and investment policy
- World Trade Organization (WTO) and other foreign sovereign claims
- National security, including compliance with Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and representing clients before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS)
When you become our client, we will help you understand the applicable laws and regulations, mitigate the risks of international trade, and achieve your objectives in the global marketplace. Contact our Miami office today to arrange a consultation.
What Are the Challenges of International Trade?
International trade presents several challenges, including:
- Trade barriers, such as tariffs, quotas, and non-tariff barriers, increase the cost of importing and exporting goods and services, making it difficult for businesses to access and compete in foreign markets.
- Political and economic instability in foreign countries can lead to increased risks, such as expropriation, nationalization, or other government interference.
- Legal and regulatory frameworks differ across borders, making compliance difficult and creating legal and financial risks for businesses, such as fines, penalties, and legal action.
Fortunately, these laws and agreements play a critical role in regulating and facilitating international trade and serve several functions, such as:
- Promoting free trade by reducing trade barriers, facilitating the exchange of goods and services between countries, eliminating tariffs and other trade barriers, and making it easier for businesses to access foreign markets.
- Resolving trade disputes through negotiation, international arbitration, and adjudication.
- Protecting intellectual property rights by setting out rules for protecting and enforcing patents, trademarks, and copyrights, which fosters innovation.
- Regulating and promoting investment by establishing rules for the treatment of foreign investors, including expropriation, nationalization, and compensation, and reducing risks and uncertainty.
- Ensuring compliance with labor and environmental standards to promote sustainable development.
- Facilitating trade and investment by setting out rules for customs procedures, trade facilitation, and investment promotion and providing a framework for cooperation and dialogue between countries on trade and investment issues.
You can trust Transnational Matters to put international trade laws to work for you and help you profitably market your products and services in the global markets.
Why Choose Us?
International trade law is a complex and constantly evolving field; navigating the related legal requirements can be challenging for businesses and individuals. Working with an experienced international trade attorney is the best way to protect your rights and interests. At Transnational Matters, our services include:
- Compliance with customs, tariffs, sanctions, and export controls, including obtaining the necessary licenses and permits and developing compliance programs and policies to minimize the risk of violations.
- Contract negotiation and drafting, including sales agreements, distribution agreements, and licensing agreements, that comply with applicable laws and protect your interests.
- Dispute resolution involving international trade transactions through negotiation, mediation, or arbitration.
- IP protection, registering your intellectual property, and enforcing your IP rights against infringers.
You can depend on our attorneys to help you structure your investments and business operations in a way that maximizes legal protections, minimizes risks, and helps achieve your goals.
Contact Our Experienced International Trade Attorneys
At Transnational Matters, we provide informed legal advice and counsel to businesses and individuals engaged in international trade. When you work with us, we will help you navigate complex legal requirements, resolve disputes, and compete in the global markets. Contact us today to get started.